Monday, June 15, 2009

Green IT savings not so easy to obtain

My monthly copy of ComputerScope arrived in the post today (on writing this I am reflecting on how funny it is to still receive such things in printed form - but I like it). There were a number of articles on Green IT and how it can save money. There is no doubt that Green IT can reduce costs but given that for most organisations in Ireland power and cooling is only a small part of their IT budget (if any - often it is not charged to IT but to some more generic facilities budget) you have to ask the question is this where IT should start to look to reduce costs. Of course it should do the easy things like turning off equipment, reducing the number of printers etc. and build green considerations into future upgrade plans, but you have to ask the question - are there not bigger fish to fry first in reducing the IT budget?

Before you say - I know I am ignoring the whole green agenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment